Did you know your hair’s already been growing for 2 weeks before it comes out of the scalp? That’s right! Luscious, healthy looking hair starts inside the scalp – about 4 mm down to be exact.
It’s in a soft, vulnerable state and not yet mature, until it emerges from the scalp. That’s why the surrounding environment and the way you treat your hair is so important.
Understanding your hair type and how best to take care of it can make a big difference to how it looks and feels.
How can I make my hair grow faster?
Protect it from damage. That’s the best thing you can do to help your hair grow.
Hair grows at a relatively consistent rate of 1 cm a month. So, if your hair is at your shoulders, it’s about 2 years old. If you damage your hair by over exposing it to heat, over styling or malnutrition, it’s going to break.
What is known: Scratching due to an unhealthy scalp can damage hair.
What new research reveals:
- An unhealthy scalp compromises the hair surface and effects how hair cells develop.
- An unhealthy scalp will produce unhealthy new hair, with damaged cuticles from the point at which the hair emerges, causing hair to be dry, dull and rough.
That means the best way to grow your hair longer is to keep your scalp in good shape, and protect your hair from damage and breakage.
4 phases of hair growth
Your hair goes through 4 phases as it grows – growing, transitioning, resting, and shedding.
- Growing (Anagen). The growing phase normally lasts from 2-10 years depending on your genetics. About 85-90% of your hair is in this phase.
- Transitioning (Catagen). In this phase the hair splits from the blood supply and gets pushed up, even though it’s not growing. This lasts for about 3 weeks. Only about 1% of your hairs are in Catagen.
- Resting (Telogen). The resting phase lasts about 3 months; 10-15% of your hair is in this phase (your eyebrows and eyelashes behave differently- they stay in this resting phase most of the time).
- Shedding (Exogen). The normal process of shedding will occur in the Exogen phase, which involves freeing the hair base from the root and the hair falling. If you’re worried about how much hair you’re losing, know that some shedding is completely normal. In fact, we lose about 100 hairs every day.
This cycle of growing, transitioning and shedding is then repeated.
Healthy scalp, healthy hair
Now you know how your hair grows, keep it shiny and looking fantastic with a Classic Clean Shampoo & Smooth and Silky Conditioner.
Head & Shoulders is the only shampoo that is proven to improve the quality of hair as it grows out of the scalp.
When your scalp’s in peak condition, it’s better at supporting healthy hair growth so it’s formed properly. Head & Shoulders improves the health of the skin on your scalp by protecting it from irritation, dryness, itch and flaking.